Meatless Monday arrives every week!
…the ideal reminder to take a break from meat at least once each week.
These tacos (or quesadillas) are so flavourful and satisfying – nothing (not even meat) could improve on this.
And if you use canned black beans, frozen corn, prepared salsa, you can have dinner on the table in a very short time.
And, if you want to go one step further …. and make it low-carb … serve the filling wrapped in large lettuce leaves.
(you may not even miss the taco shells!)
Black Bean and Corn Tacos
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Number of Servings: 6 tacos
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, small dice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can (540 mL/19 fl oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup (125 mL) salsa (mild, medium, or hot)
¼ – ½ teaspoon (1.5-2.5 mL) chipotle chili powder (or canned chipotles in adobo sauce)
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (5 mL) sea or Kosher salt
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen corn
2 cups (500 mL) fresh chopped spinach (firmly packed)
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
½ cup (125 mL) beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
6 regular taco shells; or 6 soft taco/enchilada shells
Garnishes: Shredded cheddar cheese; crumbled queso fresco cheese, chopped cilantro; chopped tomatoes, cubed avocado
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute chopped onions and garlic until soft and fragrant (5 minutes). Reduce heat and add beans; heat through.
- Add salsa, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Heat through.
- With a potato masher, gently and minimally crush some of the beans.
- Add corn and heat through until cooked. Add spinach and green onions. If the mixture is too thick, add in some of the broth. Heat through.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. Heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Fill taco shells, and garnish as desired.
Questions and comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org