The contrasts in flavours will be a pleasant surprise!
Pear and Beet Salad
Number of Servings: 4
3 beets, tops and roots removed
2 firm ripe pears, unpeeled, cored, and thinly sliced
2-3 handfuls of arugula
½ cup (125 mL) walnut halves, lightly toasted
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
Chopped fresh dill
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey
1 tablespoon (15 mL) pear or apple cider vinegar
1-2 tablespoons (15-30 mL) of walnut oil
1-2 tablespoons (15-30 mL) of vegetable or grape seed oil (or 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil)
Sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Cook beets: In a medium pot, over medium heat, cook beets in simmering water until ‘fork-tender’ … about 20 minutes. Remove from water; allow to cool.
- When beet are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into thin slices. Set aside (this can be prepared a day ahead)
- Prepare vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine minced garlic with the lemon juice, honey, and vinegar. Slowly drizzle in your choice of oil(s). Season to taste.
- Just before serving, decoratively arrange beet slices on individual salad plates. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with a little vinaigrette.
- Mix the pear slices and arugula in a bowl. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and gently combine.
- Spoon the pear mixture evenly over the beet slices; drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette; sprinkle walnuts and feta cheese over all.
- Garnish with some extra arugula greens.