The distinct nutty flavour of wild rice balanced with the sweet tang of oranges …perfect alongside a serving of pork tenderloin or grilled chicken.
Wild Rice and Orange Salad
Number of Servings: 4
¼ cup (60 mL) wild rice, uncooked
½ cup (125 mL) white basmati rice, uncooked
2 medium shallots
½ of a green pepper, fine dice
¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped green onions
½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped dried apricots
3/4 cup (185 mL) mandarin orange segments, canned or fresh
½ cup (125 mL) sliced almonds
2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, or flat-leaf parsley
½ cup (125 mL) orange juice
2 tablespoons (30 mL) fruit vinegar (orange, raspberry, pear, apple cider)
1 tablespoon (15 mL) orange zest
½ tablespoon (7 mL) honey
1/3 – ½ cup (85-125 mL) vegetable or grapeseed oil
Sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare rice: Rinse wild rice in cold water; drain. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt, and add the wild rice. Cook, at a simmer, for 25-30 minutes. Add the basmati rice. Continue to cook until both grains are tender (an additional 20-25 minutes). Drain; give a quick rinse under some cold water, spread on a parchment-covered baking sheet to cool completely.
- While rice is cooking, reduce the orange juice to ¼ cup by simmering it in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cool the reduction.
- When rice is at room temperature (10 minutes), place it in a large salad bowl and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to prevent the grains from sticking together.
- Add chopped shallot, apricot, and orange pieces, green pepper, and green onions. Gently mix together thoroughly.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the orange juice reduction, fruit vinegar, orange zest, and honey. Drizzle in oil, whisking until dressing is thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over rice mixture and combine. Refrigerate until well chilled. Remove from refrigerator about an hour before serving time so that it can be served at room temperature. Just before serving, stir in almond slices and fresh herbs.
- At serving time, garnish with extra almonds and orange zest.