A deliciously warm salad to usher in the autumn season
Perfectly paired with whatever is on the dinner menu
Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Salad
Number of Servings: 4
1 large sweet potato (orange or white fleshed), peeled, and cut into ¾ inch pieces
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) Chinese 5-Spice
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) kosher or sea salt; freshly ground pepper
2-3 cups fresh spinach, or a mixture of spinach and arugula
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped or thinly sliced hazelnuts (toasted)
1 1/2 tablespoons (25 mL) white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey
2 teaspoons (10 mL) Dijon mustard
3-4 tablespoons (45-60 mL) extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
Kosher or sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 3750 F (1900 C).
- Toss the potato pieces with the olive oil and spread on an oiled baking pan, or on a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Lightly sprinkle with Chinese 5-spice, salt, and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until just tender. Stir once or twice during roasting time.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare vinaigrette by gently warming the vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Whisk in mustard, and then slowly drizzle in oil. Turn off heat – do not boil. Season to taste.
- Place greens in a large salad bowl.
- When the potatoes are tender, add them to the greens. Gently toss to combine.
- Just before serving, gently pour over the warm vinaigrette. Toss again.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese and hazelnuts over the top.
Questions and comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org