The flavor contrast in this salad will be a lovely surprise.
Pear and Beet Salad
3 beets, tops and roots removed
2 firm ripe pears, unpeeled, cored, and thinly sliced
2-3 handfuls of arugula
½ cup (125 mL) walnut halves, lightly toasted
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
Chopped fresh dill
1 garlic, clove minced
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey
1 tablespoon (15 mL) pear or apple cider vinegar
1-2 tablespoons (15-30 mL) walnut oil
1-2 tablespoons (15-30 mL) vegetable or grapeseed oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook beets: In a medium pot, over medium heat, cook beets in simmering water until ‘fork-tender’, about 20 minutes. Remove from water and allow to cool.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into thin slices. Set aside (this can be prepared a day ahead).
- Prepare vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine garlic with the lemon juice, honey, and vinegar. Slowly drizzle in oils and season to taste.
- Just before serving, decoratively arrange beet slices on individual salad plates. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with a little vinaigrette.
- Mix the pear slices and arugula in a bowl. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and gently combine.
- Spoon the pear mixture evenly over the beet slices; drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette; sprinkle walnuts and feta cheese over all.
- Garnish with some extra arugula greens.