Cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and coriander—the powerful 4 c’s of Tandoori chicken.
And, when nestled on top of a mixture of fruit and greens, a beautiful entrée unfolds.
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Salad
12-16 ounces (300-450 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
½ cup (125 mL) plain Greek yogurt or buttermilk
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon (1.5 mL) each of ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and smoked or sweet paprika
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (125 mL) pineapple chunks
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
½ of an English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 papaya or mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) chopped dried apricots
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
2-3 cups of mixed greens
2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon (15 mL) pomegranate molasses or maple syrup
3-4 tablespoons (45-60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in some water for at least ½ hour.
- Prepare all salad ingredients (except for the chicken) and place in a large salad bowl.
- Prepare vinaigrette: Mix garlic with balsamic vinegar and molasses. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until well combined; season to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare chicken: Place the chicken cubes on the soaked skewers. In a small bowl combine all of the spices and seasonings (about a tablespoon of seasoning). Mix well. Set aside 1 teaspoon of this mixture to sprinkle on the chicken after it has been grilled.
- In a non-metal baking dish (large enough to allow the 4 skewers of chicken to lay flat), mix the yogurt and minced garlic; stir in the remaining seasoning mixture. Place the 4 skewers of chicken into the marinade and cover with the marinade. Cover dish, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours—or up to 8 hours.
- Grill chicken: At grilling time, remove the skewers from the marinade (discard) and let sit at room temperature for about ½ hour. Blot off excess marinade with a paper towel. Preheat grill, or grill pan. Grill skewers for 5-7 minutes on each side, turning, and grilling, until chicken is browned and starting to crisp. Remove from pan; set on a platter; sprinkle with the reserved seasoning mixture.
- Prepare salad: Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of vinaigrette over salad ingredients in the large bowl. Gently stir to combine. Arrange salad among 4 salad plates and place a skewer of chicken on top of each. Serve the remaining dressing on the side.