The exotic and distinct flavours of Asian cuisine come together to make a vinaigrette that compliments the simplest of salad ingredients.
So many flavours and textures are going on here … a refreshing addition to any meal.
Note: The original “Asian Slaw” was part of the 100 Day Project last year (Salald # 19) and has recently been revised and enjoyed many times over.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Number of Servings: 4-6
1 cup (250 mL) shredded (or ‘matchstick’ carrots)
1 stalk of celery, diagonally-sliced
1 small bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) diagonally-sliced snow peas, or sugar snap peas
1 red, orange, or yellow pepper, thinly sliced
3/4 cup (180 mL) corn kernels, cooked and cooled
1/3 of a red onion, thinly sliced
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) chopped green onions
3 tablespoons (45 mL) chopped peanuts or cashews, or raisins (or a little of all)
1/3 cup (85 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
2-3 cups shredded Napa cabbage (green cabbage could be substituted)
Garnish: Crispy wonton strips*; black or white sesame seeds; or some extra chopped nuts
2 tablespoons (30 mL) soy sauce
2 teaspoons (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons (30 mL) rice vinegar
2 teaspoons (10 mL) fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons (25 mL) brown sugar or honey
1 teaspoon (5 mL) sriracha sauce, or sambal oelek
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) sesame oil
3-4 tablespoons (45-60 mL) vegetable or grapeseed oil
Sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare all salad ingredients (except cabbage and wonton strips ) and place in a large bowl.
2. Prepare Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, fresh ginger, mustard, rice vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, and sriracha sauce. Slowly drizzle in both oils, whisking as you pour until the mixture comes together. If necessary, season to taste with salt and pepper – add more hot sauce if needed. Set aside.
3. One hour prior to serving, pour some of the vinaigrette over the prepared salad ingredients, and refrigerate. Stir up occasionally.
4. *Prepare fried wonton strips: Slice 3 or 4 wonton wrappers into very thin strips. In a sauté pan, over medium-low heat, heat a small amount of 5. vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add the wonton strips, stir-frying until golden and crisp (1 minute). Allow to cool on a paper towel.
5. Just before serving, fold in the shredded cabbage; add more vinaigrette; garnish with the crispy wonton strips, sesame seeds and/or some chopped nuts.
Questions and comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org