West coast weather this spring and summer sparked a wealth of fruits and vegetables to grace our gardens, markets, and our dinner tables. This bounty is a cook’s dream!
And zucchini, which can grow like wildfire in the worst of times, is having more than its allotted 15 minutes of fame this season.
Making Zucchini Muffins is my contribution to dealing with this excess (if you double the recipe, up to 4 zucchinis will leave the pile!) Botanically, zucchini is a fruit, so incorporating its richness of moisture, texture, and nutrients into breads and muffins is a perfect solution.
Streusel-Topped Zucchini Muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 10 Standard Size Muffins
2 large eggs, at room temperature
105 grams (1/2 cup hard-packed) dark brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (375 mL) shredded green and/or yellow zucchini (about 2 small)
225 grams (1 ½ cups) flour – mixture of half-and-half whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon (1.5 mL) Chinese 5-Spice, or ground cloves, or allspice
¾ cup (185 mL) chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled
85 grams (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
1/3 cup (85 mL) finely chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 3500 F (1800C). Prepare a standard muffin pan with an oil-based spray, or with 10 paper liners.
- With a mixer, beat the two eggs. Add the brown sugar and beat until well incorporated. Add oil; beating until smooth and thick.
- Stir in vanilla, and shredded zucchini.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Gently fold in fold mixture into the zucchini mixture just until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Divide mixture among 10 prepared muffin cups.
- Prepare streusel topping: Combine brown sugar, finely chopped walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Questions and Comments are always welcome email@example.com