Authentic Spanish Rice (Red Rice, or Arroz Rojo), is simply rice, tomatoes, garlic and onions…
… infused with some Spanish seasonings such as paprika, cayenne, and saffron. And, it is typically served as a side dish with tacos, enchiladas, or chicken.
But in Husband Art’s family, Spanish Rice is remembered as a one-dish dinner because Mom Robertina incorporated ground beef into the preparation, creating a complete and easy dinner for everyone. She had a great idea!
Keeping with the Spanish theme, fresh chorizo sausage meat (ground pork seasoned with chiles, coriander, and cumin) has been substituted for the beef. If fresh Chorizo is difficult to find, hot Italian sausage is a perfect alternative.
Spanish Rice with Chorizo
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 4-6
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
450 g (1 pound) fresh chorizo sausage (or hot Italian sausage meat)
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, small dice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow, orange, or green pepper, small dice
¾ cup (180 mL) uncooked long-grain rice (white or brown)
1 large can (796 mL/28 fl oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup (250 mL) beef or chicken broth
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon (1.5 mL) cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Kosher or sea salt
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of saffron threads
2 tablespoons (30 mL) finely chopped green onions
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large oven-proof sauté pan, or in a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute sausage meat until brown.
- Add chopped onions and celery. Saute until soft and fragrant – about 5 minutes. Stir in diced peppers and garlic.
- Stir in rice and sauté with the vegetables for 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and broth. Cover, and slowly bring to a simmer. Cook on the stove-top or in a 3500 F oven, for 20 minutes – or until the rice is almost tender (timing will depend on the type of rice).
- Stir in paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, until rice is completely cooked – about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in saffron threads, green onions, and chopped cilantro. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Questions and comments are always welcome email@example.com