Super Bowl 50
Sunday is Game Day!
A Mediterranean-Inspired Menu
Tzatziki and Pita Bread
Hummus and Vegetables
For some reason, Greek-style meatballs (authentic name is Keftedes) are not just your ordinary regular meatballs ..there is a distinct difference.
Whether it is the ground lamb, the cream-soaked bread, or the combination of fresh herbs and extra garlic … not sure …
Or maybe it’s just the big finish of a splash of fresh lemon juice and the shower of feta cheese that make Greek meatballs very exotic and intriguing.
Greek Meatballs (Keftedes)
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: about 30 meatballs
2-3 slices of white bread (sourdough is perfect), crusts removed
Cream (light or heavy), or whole milk
1 large egg
1 onion, minced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
1 teaspoon ( 5 mL) Kosher or sea salt
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh chopped oregano or 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried
2-3 tablespoons (30-40 mL) fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh chopped mint leaves
450 g (1 pound) of ground meat; half of which should be ground lamb
All-purpose flour for dredging
Vegetable oil for sautéing
Garnish: Juice and zest of ½ of a fresh lemon; 3-4 tablespoons feta cheese; 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- In a small bowl, soak the bread slices in the cream or milk for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze the bread, and place in a large mixing bowl. Discard cream/milk.
- Add the egg, minced onion and garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, cilantro, and mint to the bowl. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Fold in the ground meat and gently mix until well combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Form into small meatballs. Roll in flour (flouring the meatballs twice is a way to get a good crust on them).
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat; Add some vegetable oil. Saute the meatballs, a few at a time, in the hot oil. Place in a warm oven until all meatballs are cooked.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the meatballs with the lemon juice, lemon zest, feta cheese and parsley.
Comments and questions are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org