When you combine some hot spices like chipotle and paprika with some warm spices like Chinese 5-spice and coriander, you end up with a complexity of taste – a lively dance erupts on your palate … magnificent! Whether you use the grill or the broiler element, this is such an easy way to prepare chicken … it has become our go-to recipe when we are thinking about ‘…what’s for dinner?’
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) Chinese 5-spice or cinnamon
¼ teaspoon (1.5 mL) coriander
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cumin
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) smoked paprika
1 tablespoon (15 mL) brown sugar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds/1kg)
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
1/3 cup (85 mL) smokey barbeque sauce (not a sweet sauce)
Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Combine the dry rub ingredients together in a large bowl or a large plastic bag.
- Coat/brush the chicken thighs with the tablespoon of oil and toss the chicken with the rub mixture, ensuring that the pieces are well-coated with the rub mixture.
- Preheat broiler; position rack about 6 inches from the broiler.
- Arrange coated chicken pieces on a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with an oiled rack or foil.
- Broil chicken pieces for about 5 minutes on one side, or until they are just starting to brown. Turn chicken to the other side and continue to broil on the second side for 4- 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken for one more round of browning – about 2 minutes per side. Total broiling time will be about 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to ‘bake’ – set heat at 375oF (190oC). Position the chicken pieces so that ‘presentation side’ is up; baste with any accumulated juices, and brush on a little of the barbeque sauce.
- Bake chicken pieces for 15 minutes, or until cooked (internal temperature of 170oF).
- Remove chicken from oven and reset broiler.
- Brush more barbeque sauce over each chicken piece and broil for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with Corn and Red Peppers.