Wings done ‘Slow Cooker’ style …
In summer, when it is too hot to heat up the oven, or other times of the year when the oven is busy doing other things, this is an easy and convenient way to achieve tender ‘fall off the bone’ wings with no fuss-no muss… as an appetizer, or as part of a main course.
Wing drumettes and/or winglets are slow-cooked with a little of the sauce .. and then finished under the broiler – or on the grill – with the rest of the sauce brushed on.
Asian Barbecue Chicken Wings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
Number of Servings: 8-10
3-4 pounds (1.5-2 kg) chicken winglets and/or drumettes
2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lime or lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup (85 mL) barbeque sauce
1/2 cup (125 mL) hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons (30 mL) soy sauce
1 tablespoon (15 mL) sambel oelek (chili paste)
2 tablespoons (30 mL) sesame oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered ginger (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
Garnish: Chopped green onion; black and white sesame seeds
- Place chicken winglets/drumettes in a slow cooker. Pour juice and minced garlic over all. Stir to thoroughly coat chicken pieces.
- In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and whisk together to thoroughly combine.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of sauce over wings (save the remaining sauce for basting and serving).
- Cover and cook on ‘high’ for 2 1/2 hours; or on ‘low’ for 3 1/2-4 hours.
- After cooking time is complete, remove the wings from slow cooker and transfer them to an oiled rack or a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Discard cooking liquid.
- Heat reserved sauce; and brush on the chicken.
- Position an oven rack about 6 inches from broiler. Set oven to broil. Broil 2 minutes; turn and brush with sauce; broil another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Questions and Comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org