Everyone in our family loves peanut butter, and so Peanut Butter Cookies could generally be found in the cookie jar or in the freezer. The soft and buttery texture (and the signature criss-cross design) … and lots of peanut butter goodness … ensure a memorable event.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes Baking Time: 12-15 minutes
Yield: 20-22 large cookies
1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
160 g (3/4 cup hard-packed) dark brown sugar
250 g (1 1/4 cup) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
2 cups (500 g) smooth or crunchy peanut butter (not natural or light)
380 g (2 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking powder
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
Extra granulated sugar for rolling
- Beat together butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in peanut butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually stir into peanut butter mixture.
- Ideally dough should be refrigerated for at least 24 hours. To make things easier, form the individual balls of dough prior to refrigerating (or freezing). Using approximately 60 g (scant ¼ cup) of dough for each cookie, place balls of dough on greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, or a large platter. Cover, and refrigerate until firm. Place in a freezer bag to keep them fresh until baking day.
- At baking time: Remove dough balls from fridge. Let them come to room temperature (1/2 hour). Roll each ball in granulated sugar and place them on prepared cookie sheets. With a floured fork, press a crisscross pattern onto each cookie to flatten each cookie to about ½ inch.
- Bake at 3500 F (1800 C) for 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving them.