Tuna and Thyme … involved with some lemon …a fantastic trio
Tuna and Rice Salad
Number of Servings: 4-6
¾ cup (185 mL) basmati, jasmine or long-grain rice
1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh tomatoes
1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped green onions
1 small apple, unpeeled, cored, diced
2 tablespoons (30 mL) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 can (170 g) chunk tuna, drained
Favourite mixed greens
Lemon zest; chopped fresh thyme
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) lemon zest
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 mL) mayonnaise
1 tablespoon (15 mL) plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) dried thyme; or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
Sea salt; Lemon pepper (or regular black pepper)
- Prepare rice: Bring a pot of water to a boil; add some salt; add rice. Cook, over low heat, until rice is tender (15 -20 minutes, depending on the type of rice – check package recommendations). Drain; give a quick rinse of cold water; and pour onto a parchment-covered baking sheet to cool completely.
- While rice is cooking, prepare Lemon-Thyme dressing: Mix garlic, mustard, and lemon juice/zest. Whisk in oil, mayonnaise, and yogurt (or sour cream). Stir in thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place cooled rice in a large salad bowl. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of dressing; cover, and refrigerate for about ½ hour. Add tomatoes, celery, green onions, apples pieces, and chopped parsley. Refrigerate until serving time.
- At serving time, add tuna chunks and gently incorporate into the rice, leaving bite-size chunks of tuna intact. Fold in remaining dressing. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve on a bed of mixed greens; garnish with some lemon zest and chopped thyme.
Questions and Comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org