Aromatic and flavourful, this is an ideal main course salad.
Thai Steak Salad
Number of Servings: 4
375 – 450 g (12-16 ounces ) flank or skirt steak
Juice and zest from 1 fresh lime
2 tablespoons (30 mL) fish sauce
1 tablespoon (15 mL) brown sugar
1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce
1 teaspoon (5 mL) roasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons (10 mL) vegetable oil
3/4 cup (180 mL) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup (180 mL) cooked corn, cooled
1 mango, peeled, pitted, cut into bite-size chunks
1/2 of a red or orange pepper, thinly sliced
¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup (125 mL) fresh Thai basil leaves
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
Crisp lettuce greens
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) sweet Thai chili sauce or hot red pepper jelly, melted
Juice and zest from 1 fresh lime (about 2 tablespoons juice)
2 teaspoons (10 mL) brown sugar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) fish sauce
1 tablespoon (15 mL) roasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons (45 mL) vegetable or grapeseed oil
A dash or two of sriracha sauce (to taste)
Sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate Steak: In a glass baking dish, mix together the lime juice/zest, fish sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and both oils. Add steak, and ensure that there is some marinade covering the top of the steak. Cover, refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the jelly. Mix melted jelly with the lime juice/zest, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Whisk in both oils; season with salt, pepper, and sriracha sauce to taste. Set aside.
- Cook steak: One hour before cooking, remove steak from refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Take steak out of the marinade (discard), and, with a paper towel, sponge off excess liquid. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill steak, over high heat, for 5 minutes on each side (medium doneness). Place grilled steak to rest on a cutting board – 8-10 minutes. Slice against the grain. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Prepare salad: While steak is resting, combine tomatoes, corn, mango, pepper, and red onion slices in a salad bowl. Add 2-3 tablespoons of vinaigrette and gently stir to combine. Fold in Thai basil, cilantro and some crisp lettuce slices.
- At serving time, place some salad on each of 4 salad plates (or on a large salad platter). Arrange slices of steak on top of the salad. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Garnish with extra chopped cilantro or basil.
Questions and Comments are always welcome alex@chilipeppersandpears. com