Aromatic and earthy rosemary makes this a ‘not-so-typical’ tuna salad!
Lentil, Rice, and Tuna Salad
Number of Servings: 6-8
¾ cup (185 mL) brown or white basmati rice, uncooked
1 can (540 mL/19 fl oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped red onion
1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh tomatoes
1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, fine dice
1 can (170 grams) of tuna, drained
2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon (5 ml) Dijon mustard
1-2 teaspoons (5-10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 mL) mayonnaise
2 tablespoons (30 mL) plain Greek yogurt
Sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare rice: Bring a pot of water to a boil; add some salt; add rice. Cook, over low heat, until rice is tender (15 -20 minutes, depending on the type of rice – check package recommendations). When rice has completed cooking, drain; give it a quick rinse under cold water; and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool a little more (5-10 minutes).
- Place cooled rice, drained lentils, red onions, green pepper, celery, and tomatoes in a salad bowl.
- Prepare dressing: Combine garlic, mustard, rosemary, lemon juice and oil in a small bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and yogurt. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Stir dressing into rice-lentil mixture and refrigerate for at least ½ hour.
- Just before serving; stir in chunks of tuna and chopped parsley; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve in small bowls, or on a bed of salad greens.
Questions or comments are always welcome firstname.lastname@example.org