Vancouver’s 31st Annual Sun Run takes over the city on Sunday, April 19. What an event!
Whether you are a walker, wheeler, or a runner, adequate fuel with balanced nutrition is one strategy to get you to the finish line in fine style. This salad will provide about 15 grams of lean protein, approximately 26 grams of energizing carbs, and about 8 grams of sustaining fat … around 250 calories.
… all contributing to either the pre-run preparation, or the post-run recovery.
Good luck to all participants!
Sun Run Salad
Number of Servings: 4-5
1/3 cup (85 mL) quinoa
6 ounces (175 g) cooked chicken or turkey breast, but into bite-size chunks
3 ounces (80 g) mozzarella or cheddar cheese, but into bite-size chunks
½ cup (125 mL) broccoli florets
½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh tomatoes
1 orange, red, or yellow pepper, sliced or diced
1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 small apple or pear, diced
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
¼ cup (60 mL) sliced almonds
2 tablespoons (30 mL) raisins or dried cranberries
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
1 -2 cups torn spinach or kale leaves
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon (15 mL) mayonnaise
2 tablespoons (30 mL) plain Greek yogurt
Kosher or sea salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa in a large volume of salted water until soft, 12-15 minutes.
- Drain; give it a quick rinse in cold water. Drain well. Place in a large bowl. Add a tablespoon of oil to keep it from sticking.
- When quinoa is cool, add the remaining salad ingredients, except spinach or kale. Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare dressing: Combine garlic, mustard, vinegar, honey and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Whisk in the yogurt. Season to taste.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly. Add more yogurt if the salad seems to be too dry. Either serve the salad over some spinach or kale; or gently fold in the spinach or kale leaves into the salad.