Fresh sweet fruit, soothing avocado, a hint of aromatic mint and basil …and then a hot and spicy vinaigrette!
I used Habanero Tequila Jelly …from a Vancouver company called Dolly’s Treats – but any hot red pepper jelly will give you a beautiful vinaigrette.
I also specifically used Pear Vinegar in the vinaigrette, but another fruit vinegar could be substituted.
Blueberry and Avocado Salad
Number of Servings: 4
1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into bite-size chunks and sprinkled with a little bit of lemon or orange juice
2 kiwis, peeled, thinly sliced
1 mandarin orange, peeled, pith/membranes removed
2 tablespoons (30 mL) sliced almonds
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 mL) of both chopped fresh mint and basil
3-4 handfuls of fresh spinach, or a blend of spinach and arugula; or mixed greens
Hot Chili Pepper Vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon (15 mL) Habanero Tequila Jelly, or hot red chili pepper jelly
1 tablespoons (15 mL) pear vinegar, or another fruit vinegar
3 tablespoons (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
Sea Salt; freshly ground black pepper
- Place the blueberries, avocado, kiwi, and oranges in a large salad bowl. Mix in almonds and herbs.
- Prepare vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the pepper jelly (or, on low heat in a microwave). In a small bowl, mix together the melted jelly and vinegar. Whisk in oil; season to taste.
- Just before serving, mix together your choice of salad greens; place on salad plates.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad ingredients; gently stir to combine.
- Spoon some salad on top of each plate.