The simplest and most exquisite salad of all …
Number of Servings: 4
Balsamic Vinegar, or a Balsamic reduction (recipe follows)
4 medium/large field-ripened tomatoes; or 6-8 Campari tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch slices
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
1 pound of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
Extra-virgin olive oil
Sea Salt; Freshly ground black pepper
- Make a balsamic reduction: Pour about 1 cup of balsamic vinegar (you can use a plain, inexpensive variety for this purpose). Over medium-high heat, reduce the vinegar until it has a thick and syrupy consistency, and has reduced to about ½ cup. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons corn syrup. Cool, and pour into a squeeze bottle. Alternatively, you can purchase a balsamic glaze in a squeeze bottle.
- On a serving platter, drizzle a little olive oil and the cooled balsamic reduction.
- Arrange a layer of tomato slices on the platter; lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange a basil leaf or two (depending on the size) on top each tomato slice.
- Place a round or two of cheese on top of the basil.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic reduction over all.
- Serve immediately.
Questions and comments are always welcome email@example.com