Rhubarb runs rampant at this time of year.
A common running mate for rhubarb is the strawberry, but because strawberries are often not quite in season at rhubarb’s time, apples are the perfect partner.
This moist, light, and flavourful cake, topped with a nutty streusel is an ideal brunch dish… also a great dessert.
Rhubarb Apple Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 55-70 minutes
Yield: 1 9-inch cake – approximately 10 slices
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
105 grams (1/2 cup) dark brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
½ cup (125 mL) oatmeal (not instant)
30 grams (2 tablespoons) melted unsalted butter
115 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
210 grams (1 cup) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 mL) pure vanilla extract
350 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking powder
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cardamom or ginger
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
1 apple (honey crisp/mitsu), peeled, cored, and finely diced (1 cup)
1 ½ cups (375 mL) finely chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 3500F (1800C). Lightly butter (or coat with an oil spray) a 9 inch springform pan.
- Prepare Streusel Topping: In a bowl, combine brown sugar, nuts, cinnamon and oatmeal. Stir in melted butter; mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Prepare Cake: In a large mixer bowl, with a stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fold in chopped rhubarb and apple pieces.
- Spread in prepared pan; Sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for 55-70 minutes, or until an inserted cake tested comes out clean and dry. Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes before releasing the spring-form pan. If you find that the cake is browning too quickly, loosely cover with some foil partway through the baking time.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature. Whipped cream is always a great topping!
Questions and comments are always welcome email@example.com